Wednesday, March 28, 2018
By  Marilyn Golden


With winter quickly approaching, your water heater is going to become much more important. The last thing you want is for it to stop working. If you notice that your water is not being heated, it may be a simple fix. Most of the time you simply need to reset your water heater. Our experts are here to walk you through the process!

Step 1:

Do a visual inspection and see if there is leaking or if the Pressure Relief Valve (the TP valve) is releasing water. You can easily find the TP valve by looking at the top of the water heater or somewhere near the top. If there is a leak, you will usually find evidence of it near the bottom of the tank. Check for damp floors or pooled water. If there is no sign of a leak, proceed with resetting your water heater.

Step 2:

Even if there is no water or any evidence of a leak, you need to first shut off the breaker connected to the water heater. Once the breaker has been turned off, shut off water to the heater by closing the valve connected to the heater.

Step 3:

Remove any covers on the water heater. There are generally two covers that will need to be removed before you can reset your heater. The switch you need to use, the high limit switch, also call the Energy Cut Off (or ECO), is generally located underneath the top cover and mounted directly into the tank near the upper thermostat. This switch (ECO) is used to cut off all power from the lower thermostat to the upper thermostat in the case water gets too hot or is overheating.

Step 4:

The ECO will generally trip when the water temperature is somewhere between 150 degrees and 180 degrees. You will not be able to reset the ECO until the water temperature in the tank is lower than the temperature that tripped the switch.

Step 5:

The ECO should have a red button. Press the button and wait until you hear a click. The click will let you know that the water has cooled down enough and the ECO is now working correctly once again.

Step 6:

If the ECO can not be reset or continues to trip repeatedly (even with much cooler water) you will need to have the switch replaced. Calling a plumber or your property manager is the best shot since it requires electrical knowledge.